Sunday, August 16, 2009

Pain In My Nipple

When I was breastfeeding DS starting nearly two years ago, I remember there being a lot of pain involved. It would hurt when he nursed for the first couple of minutes and then it would be okay. But it really hurt. I remember cringing and trying to explain the sensation to DH. I think it was because DS was such an efficient nurser. I mean, the kid was a sucking machine. When he was done, there was not a spot of milk left in a ten kilometer vicinity. With this new baby, she's a lot more lazy about eating, as far as I can tell. She also doesn't seem to care about it quite as much, though lately she is starting to ask for the nipple as a soother and not just for food. What she'll do is prime the pump and then hang out and catch the resulting spray and swallow that. I can tell when my supply is running low because then she actually has to suck. And back to the title of this post, it never hurt me when she was nursing until recently. And what started the pain was not her but the breast pump. Until I first used it, I had no sensation whatsoever. Now I've got a pain on one side but the other side is OK. It's not the same pain I experienced in the last round of breastfeeding like it was with DS. This is much more mild and tolerable. What's consistent is the feeling that the pain would go away if I would simply give it time to heal. Of course, that's impossible. I need to keep using it. I can handle it, though.

No comments: