Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Slowly Weaning

I'm managing to slowly wean DD off of breastfeeding -- I think.

One significant improvement is that I don't nurse her all night long anymore. We simply don't take her out of the crib when she wakes up and, though every single pediatrician and dentist out there would recommend against this, we give her a bottle in bed to help her go back to sleep. Usually she just takes a few slurps and is out again.

So when do I still nurse her? Well, during the day if I'm around and she gets hurt-- i.e. pushed over by her brother or trips over my feet or simply not getting enough attention, she'll always want to come over to me for a little nibble. And there's very little I can do to distract her from this. She'll keep crying and moping and fighting for the breast until she gets it. Once she's on, however, she'll pretty easily be distracted by some exciting thing that her brother is doing and she'll forget all about me and my milky appendages.

I also often nurse her in the mornings. Once it gets to be around 6am or later and if she wakes up crying, DH will bring her over to me or else I'll just give up and bring her to bed. Sometimes she'll fall asleep again but often she'll drift in and out until... you guessed it.. her brother does something to distract her and then our day has begun.

No comments: